Having All the Information Needed to Start a Search…
In any given search, a recruiter’s main contact is usually the human resources representative. While HR knows what they have been told to look for, what sometimes they don’t realize is words or information gets lost in translation. The best way to ensure you are going to get a quick turnaround for the open position to be filled is to give the 3rd party recruiter all the ammunition they need.
Since starting up the recruiting for the client side – marketing and advertising positions, I have learned how different it is then traditional recruiting for the ad agency side. There is so much more detail that needs to go into a search. A marketing manager may mean one thing to one person and another to another person. So with that being said, it’s important to get all the information the recruiter can possibly obtain.
One of my searches I have been working on is a brand manager. I love the HR contact. He is full of good information and knowledge and very helpful. One thing I did learn during this search that helped speed it up was when he scheduled a conference call with the hiring manager. After that call, I had more information than I originally had because I was able to directly ask the hiring manager questions, HR would not know or completely grasp.
So the lesson learned is it will only help your search expedite if in the beginning you have the recruiter, you and the hiring manger speak on a conference call so all questions can be asked and clarified.
This entry was posted on Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 at 7:23 pm and is filed under Miscellaneous. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
One Response to “Having All the Information Needed to Start a Search…”
Not going by the books, but yes its a important factor for any search consultant to have access to the business guy involved in the search, to take the deal to the closure.. HR is a channel but not the final destination… I was involved in a search for a Practice Lead M&A , I was given enough inputs as far as the specifications and roles and responsibilities were concerned but that still could not give me any concrete surface to lead the search..I was put through the Business guy and then things were crystal clear.. To lead a search assignment is far more different from a recruiting assignment, where in you should have holistic approach and should be information savvy and also well equipped with the sources for the same..Getting information at times could be easy, thanks to the various search engines and the kind of money they pumpin to make it more user friendly.. what one also needs to master is the street smartness and approach to the right and reliable source..
sonali May 21st, 2007
In any given search, a recruiter’s main contact is usually the human resources representative. While HR knows what they have been told to look for, what sometimes they don’t realize is words or information gets lost in translation. The best way to ensure you are going to get a quick turnaround for the open position to be filled is to give the 3rd party recruiter all the ammunition they need.
Since starting up the recruiting for the client side – marketing and advertising positions, I have learned how different it is then traditional recruiting for the ad agency side. There is so much more detail that needs to go into a search. A marketing manager may mean one thing to one person and another to another person. So with that being said, it’s important to get all the information the recruiter can possibly obtain.
One of my searches I have been working on is a brand manager. I love the HR contact. He is full of good information and knowledge and very helpful. One thing I did learn during this search that helped speed it up was when he scheduled a conference call with the hiring manager. After that call, I had more information than I originally had because I was able to directly ask the hiring manager questions, HR would not know or completely grasp.
So the lesson learned is it will only help your search expedite if in the beginning you have the recruiter, you and the hiring manger speak on a conference call so all questions can be asked and clarified.
This entry was posted on Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 at 7:23 pm and is filed under Miscellaneous. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
One Response to “Having All the Information Needed to Start a Search…”
Not going by the books, but yes its a important factor for any search consultant to have access to the business guy involved in the search, to take the deal to the closure.. HR is a channel but not the final destination… I was involved in a search for a Practice Lead M&A , I was given enough inputs as far as the specifications and roles and responsibilities were concerned but that still could not give me any concrete surface to lead the search..I was put through the Business guy and then things were crystal clear.. To lead a search assignment is far more different from a recruiting assignment, where in you should have holistic approach and should be information savvy and also well equipped with the sources for the same..Getting information at times could be easy, thanks to the various search engines and the kind of money they pumpin to make it more user friendly.. what one also needs to master is the street smartness and approach to the right and reliable source..
sonali May 21st, 2007
Comments